Most cats are susceptible to hairballs due to continual ingestion of hair during regular self-grooming. Eukanuba® nutritionists were looking for a way to control hairball formation while maintaining optimal feline health and well-being. They evaluated risk factors for hairball formation in cats fed diets that varied in fiber source and content.
- Ninety-eight cats were studied.
- Nine groups were fed test diets and three were fed control diets.
- The test feeding period was six to seven weeks, following a five-week control-feeding period.
- Total cat-days of testing = 9,968
These researchers found that feeding diets that contained a blend of beet pulp and cellulose was more effective at moving hair through the digestive tract, compared with the same diets containing beet pulp as the only fiber source.
- There was an 80 to 100 percent increase in fecal hair excretion with beet pulp/cellulose-blend diets, compared with the beet-pulp-only diet.
- By promoting the passage of hair ingested by the cat during normal self-grooming, an important risk factor for hairball formation is minimized.
- Hairballs were not evident in cats fed the beet pulp/cellulose-blend diets.
How Do Our Hairball Cat Food Formulas Work?
The patent-pending fiber system (blend of beet pulp/cellulose) gently moves hair through the gastrointestinal tract while maintaining healthy digestion.
- Beet pulp, a moderately fermentable fiber, promotes optimal intestinal health.
- Cellulose helps to enhance the passage of ingested hair.
How Do Eukanuba Hairball Management Cat Foods Compare with Our Other Cat Foods?
Our hairball management formulas provide the same high-quality nutrition and taste as our other adult formulas, with the added benefit of reducing the risk of hairballs. Both provide high-quality nutrition for adult cats.
- Similar feeding amounts as our other adult formulas
- Excellent stool quality, skin and coat condition, and taurine status
- Similar acceptability and palatability as our other adult formulas